We are pleased to announce the pilot launch of our Osei-Duro garment buyback program: Reruns. This is a test of what we hope will become a long term project to both provide work training to those who need it and reduce Osei-Duro’s contribution to the textile waste stream.
The aim of the program is to provide job skills and training to women in recovery who live in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side, while simultaneously closing the loop on our own textile waste.
Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside is home to one of the worst drug problems in North America. It homes a disproportionate number of first nations, has a high rate of drug use and opioid overdoses, decrepit and squalid housing, and a high prevalence of severe mental illness (which often co-occurs with addiction).
The program is a partnership between the Osei-Duro, The Union Gospel Mission, and the City of Vancouver and aims to provide a stepping stone in the continuum of employment, building on UGM’s Repair to Wear’s outstanding success.
The pilot will run for between 8 - 12 weeks, giving us time to receive your old clothing, assign you store credit, assess the garments, potentially repair or alter, photo, list online, and have a sale of the clothes.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Collect your unwanted Osei-Duro Clothing
- Mail it, before January 29th to:
- Include a slip of paper with your name and email address
- add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe emails (your store credit will come form this email)
- Be patient - it may take us up to three months (but hopefully sooner) to process and issue store credit. Please bear with us while we iron out the wrinkles of the program.
C/O Maryanne Mathias or Heather Young
882 E Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC, V5T 1L7
Clothing Credit Tiers:
- Shipping credit: $15USD (everyone who mails clothing to us will get this credit added, as a gesture in lieu of free shipping for the returns).
- $20USD - tops, tanks, accessories, bottoms and dresses and jumpsuits older than 2017.
- $30USD - most dresses and jumpsuits made throughout 2017 or later.
- $40USD - Higher priced outerwear such as Theca coats.